Sunday 3 March 2013

Some Fishy Houmus and an Award

First things first. I won an award! My Russian Winter Salad was chosen a winner on the February potato salad challenge on Tinned Tomatoes - here is the announcement! See the banner on the right!


Thank you to all my friends who voted! I have to say it wasn't exactly like the X-Factor or Strictly - only a handful of people voted (we are talking under 50 votes between all the contenders in total), but several votes from you was enough to get my Russian salad to the top of the list.

Here is he recipe if you like - well worth trying - it's properly vegetarian and really easy to make!

Winter Russian Salad recipe. The Winner of No Croutons Required February 2013 challenge!

OK, back to food.

I made a super easy Tuna Houmus today. Not veggie. Has fish in it, but really worth trying. A perfect store cupboard lunch if you fancy something a bit more exciting than leftovers or a tin of Heinz Tonato Soup.

Sorry, no photo, the houmus was consumed by my hubby, the oldest son and myself in a flash. The recipe was given to me by a former neighbour of mine called Linda who didn't like eating butter and used to cook lots of olive oil based dishes. She once offered me this one to try. I made it ever since.

Tuna Houmous

200g tin of tuna steak in sunflower oil (use the whole thing - oil and all)
400g tin of white beans (drained) - or any other chickpeas would work too
2 anchovy fillets (those brownish ones - not fresh)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A glug or two of olive oil
Pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Taste, it should be a bit lemony. I never add any salt as the tuna and anchovies give it enough saltiness, but you may need more. You may need to add a bit more oil if you are using chickpeas.

Serve with olives and parsley with pita or any other flat bread. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Looking forward to sampling the Russian Salad soon, sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete